Monday 23 July 2012

Hey There Sugar

This lady also likes cake.


My article on the association of women with sugar (a follow-up to the piece I wrote on whisky back in June) has just been published by The Vagenda magazine. You can read it here.


I watched It's Complicated last night. I'm not proud of it. But I like Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin, so that's my excuse. Anyway, the film really goes overboard on domestic interiors and 'lifestyle'. Meryl lives in a perfect house, with a perfect garden and perfect kids. And her perfect job? Running a bakery. I have no problem with women running bakeries, obviously, but it seems a little odd to me that running a bakery is depicted as the dream job for a woman in so many films, books and TV shows: see also Bridesmaids and Cougar Town. It's another example of how sugar is believed to be a woman's vice. I don't think I've ever seen a romcom about a female chef or butcher.

2 comments:

  1. It's so true! Working in a bakery has overtaken working for a fashion magazine as the dream job that characters have in films and on tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blame Nigella Lawson

    ReplyDelete