Wednesday 25 July 2012

It's All Gone to Custard

Mmm, custardy goodness. Love the retro packaging too.


Excited by the sudden improvement in the weather, and inspired in part by reading Matt O'Connor's new book The Icecreamists last week (on which more later if I get around to it), I purchased myself a new ice cream maker this week. (My old one is leaking weird liquid, so I have consigned it to the bin. I wouldn't have thought it of you, John Lewis! It was own brand and everything!) I like to be prepared when I cook, so I've been doing some research on ice cream recipe books as well. As we know, ice cream can be made in various different styles - the American, or more specifically Philadelphia, style is to freeze cream with sugar and fruit, and the French or Italian style is to make a thin custard with egg yolks and then freeze that for a richer flavour and less chance of ice crystals forming.

I have purchased David Lebovitz's book after reading this article in the Guardian, as well as the excellent reviews, index &c on Amazon, and of course will be consulting my uncle Timothy Walker's book If You Can Read You Can Cook. Uncle Tim is a great ice cream maker and I have fond memories of basil ice cream and strawberries at a barbecue circa 1995.

Reading all these books' careful instructions on how to make a custard base got me to thinking about how fundamentally complicated and delicate an operation custard-making is, and how strange it is therefore that, as Alan Davidson says, it is fundamental to Western cooking (think of dishes like quiche Lorraine or bread and butter pudding, as well as the hot stuff we pour over pies and crumbles). He details how it was made in medieval times - before easily controllable hobs - by being baked in bread ovens after the bread had been taken out, or cooked slowly in a chafing dish under which hot coals were laid, presumably to allow for better control over the heat. He also mentions some medieval tips (important to know if you had unreliable equipment) on how to thicken it, such as mixing in breadcrumbs, or a gelling agent made from carrageen moss. Usually it was eaten as a semi-solid dish – rather like how Americans eat it, as 'pudding' – rather than as a sauce to pour over other things, a change of role that occurred in the nineteenth century.

It is no wonder that the cornflour-based custard powder made by 'Alfred Bird FCS, Experimental Chemist', as his shopfront described him, was a godsend to cooks in the mid-nineteenth century. No more curdling, no more scrambled eggs. I've made ice cream with Ambrosia custard before but have never quite stooped to using powder. And what with my modern gas hob, quality saucepan with no hot spots and ready supply of ice to ice-bath my cream in and avoid overheating of the mixture, I don't really have any excuse to do so.

Two more custard facts: did you know that the word comes from croustade, or tart, and in Britain came to denote the filling rather the whole thing? And, delightfully, that in the 1920s one pâtisserie in Hollywood turned their entire operation over to making the custard tarts that were thrown in films, after perfecting a recipe for a throwable tart with the perfect slurp?

6 comments:

  1. The Lebovitz book is really good. I have even made my own cones from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article. I never thought about making custard over an open fire before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of basil ice cream, is your uncle's book available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I'm afraid Uncle Tim's book is self-published - it's full of family recipes and he gives it out to family and friends, so you can't get it in the shops. But his recipe for basil ice cream is as follows: heat 450 ml milk with a bunch of chopped basil and 175g sugar and let it infuse. Beat 4 egg yolks in a bowl. Gradually pour in the hot milk and whisk, then return the lot to the pan, still whisking, until the custard thickens. Chill, then put it in an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Hope you enjoy it! David Lebovitz also gives a recipe for it, which includes cream and is therefore a bit richer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That custard powder can be added as ingredient to ice cream recipes. By the way, that's interesting idea of yours to have basil ice cream, how about peppermint icecream?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually David Lebovitz has a great recipe for real mint ice cream, either peppermint or spearmint is fine - I made it last summer. You steep the mint in warmed cream for about an hour before straining out the mint and making your custard with the cream. It comes out a lovely subtle green colour. I can recommend it! You do need a huge amount of mint, though – I think I picked around four bowlsful for around a litre of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete